Monday, November 21, 2011

DIY: fabric paint (plus 2 etsy posts)

I've been wanting to experiment with fabric paint for awhile, and I finally got around to trying two methods for hand-painting garments.  It's so easy, you have to try it!  I repurposed 2 tops this weekend, both of which I just posted for sale on my etsy store.

Project #1: Cat Print Top
  • solid, cottony top
  • black fabric paint
  • homemade cat stencil
  • spongy paintbrush
  • blowdryer (optional)
 
  1. I ironed the solid light blue cottony top that I was going to use.  It had a front pocket, which I removed.
  2. I made a makeshift cat stencil by cutting out a cat head shape on a plastic ziploc bag, and securing the edges with masking tape.  I guess I could have used cardstock, but I thought it might get soggy.  I think Hobby Lobby even has plastic sheets you can create stencils with using an exacto knife.
  3. I just eyeballed the layout of the print and started stenciling away with black fabric paint from Hobby Lobby.

    4.  I suggest putting a magazine or something inside the shirt so the paint doesn't seep through.  I used a blowdryer sometimes to speed up the process.
    5.  After the front side dried, I painted the back side the same way. (Don't forget about the paint seeping through!  Use that magazine!)



Project #2: Triangle Tank Top
  • solid, cottony tank top
  • white & grey fabric paint
  • masking tape
  • spongy paintbrush
  • blowdryer (optional)
  • measuring tape or ruler

  1. I ironed the solid turquoise cottony tank top that I was going to use.  It had a square applique on the front, which I removed.
  2. I used masking tape to create the triangles I would paint in. I used a measuring tape (well, and a marked off post-it as you can see in the photo) to make sure they were all roughly the same size. 
 
     
     3.  I used white fabric paint from Hobby Lobby for the top 2 rows.  For the last row I made some light grey paint from white and black fabric paint. 


 There will be smudges and imperfections, but that's the beauty of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment