Saturday, November 19, 2011

DIY: Hand-embroidery

This is half an etsy post, half a DIY post.  I just posted a re-purposed skirt on my etsy store. 


It was once a long slate blue pleated skirt.  I know, everyone's going nuts for long skirts, but the fabric wasn't right for a long skirt.  Plus, I still love knee-length skirts, so I hemmed it by about a foot.  I did this project awhile ago, so if I had it to do over, I would probably dip-dye the hem (heck, I may still do that if it doesn't sell on etsy this go-around).  But at the time, I was all about embroidery and scallops. I chose black embroidery thread so it'd stand out.  I stitched along the side of a few of the front pleats and stitched two rows of scallops along the front waistband.  (I suggest first figuring out how many scallops you want, then putting stick pins in the fabric to represent the scallops' width, because it's hard to just eyeball it.) 
 You could put a plain row of stitches or a scallop detail on cuffs, necklines, waistbands, hems, pockets, etc.  Or you could get more creative with your embroidery.  Obviously, these are wall hangings, not clothing, but you get the idea.

from the etsy store merri weather council   

 



































































from the etsy store it's a stitch







No comments:

Post a Comment